Monday, April 8, 2013

Concept "Legion of Rust" Chaos Marine - Part 2

Remember brother Smik?

This is how Smik looked after part 1
Just after this picture, I painted the base black, just to get an overall look at the model. What is missing, what is too much etc.

And then during the weekend I added some extra paint to brother Smik.



First part was to dull down the verdigris effect. I just layered the metals in VGC gunmetal metal, hereby toning down the blue/green verdigris effect and highlighting the metal. I made sure the verdigris remained visible in the recesses so the overall effect is still weathered old metal. It needs a further highlight with VGC Silver, but I'm waiting for that to arrive. (along with some other paints and the new Tau codex... yay)

Extra rusty... also, in the background you can see Smik's brother Smak.
The other thing I did here was to add another layer of orange to the rust, also covering some of the armor that isn't corroded (shoulder plate and part of the leg plate). The VGC Orange fire is a very translucent color, so it acts like a glaze. This is also why the corroded parts need more than one coat of it.

The parts of the armor that aren't corroded but that got a glaze of the orange look like very fresh rust, where the armor isn't yet eaten away by the corrosion. This makes it look like the rust is spreading.

Next, I needed to figure out where I wanted to define some additional details on the model. So what I did next was to block in some features of the model in black. This makes the parts that need definition to really pop out and allows me to think about all those particular areas.
Blackity black...
These are the parts I painted in black, any comments on painting these are greatly appreciated:

  • The tabard. Maybe it will stay black (highlighted and dusty), maybe it will become flayed skin... not sure.
  • Holes in the armor. I imagine this is where the contents of the armor show through... so I need to figure out what is contained in the armour and how I should paint that. Maybe diseased flesh?
  • Horns and teeth. The armor features several protruding horns and also quite a lot of pointy teeth. I will probably paint these in a bone color. But I need them to contrast with the armour, so this might be a challenge.
  • There are also some demonic faces showing in the armour (on this guy, it's in his shoulder plate). I added a black wash to better define the details of the face. I think I'll be painting these greenish, to show that it's actually a plaguebearer popping out.
I think the definition of these details already start to bring the model together, now I just need to figure out how to paint all of them :p

2 comments:

  1. How about a purple-ish flesh tone for the holes in the armor? Purple is a good complementary color to sepia/orange I believe... Though you might want to check if that doesn't make the scheme seem all over the place, I don't know.

    Maybe you could even paint the horns the same way, they're demons after all, so their horns might not be bone colored. I think you were on the right track last time with trying to choose one strong extra color.

    Btw, what is up with the mohawk? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking a sickly flesh with purple bruised tone, so yeah, that could work.

    The "mohawk" looks like it's also flesh or bone showing through the "helmet", that's why it's also painted black.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...