Monday, April 22, 2013

Weekend thoughts - New releases and Cosplay



Hobby-wise, not much happened this weekend. It seems that a new iteration of the Eldar is soon to be upon us but since I don't have a regular Eldar opponent, it's not that big of a deal.

New releases?


However, this is going to be the 5th codex GW will release in the span of a year... what's up with that? I've heard rumblings that GW is trying to ramp up sales so the company gets a higher value to eventually sell the company?

We've heard rumors for years now that all kinds of new models have been finished (eg. new Eldar jetbike) and were just sitting on shelves, waiting to be released into the world. I can't believe GW has been holding back for years, just so they could start releasing a metric crap-ton of new stuff onto the public as soon as 6th edition 40k was out the door. And this only with the purpose of creating a bigger cashflow?

I'm not saying I'm not tempted by all the new releases. I mean, I bought Dark Vengeance because it has Dark Angels inside (my main army) and Chaos Marines, the army that I have wanted to start for a long time. (And I needed the new rulebook, obviously.) Then came Codex CSM. I was still handling my issues with getting Dark Vengeance, as explained here, so I didn't buy that codex or any models.

Shortly after that, Dark Angels arrived and I bought the codex and a set of Deathwing terminators. Daemons came after that. I didn't buy anything, but I was thinking about it, because I'm planning to get Daemon allies for my soon-to-start CSM army. Then rumours of Tau arose and my attention was already going in that direction...

Conclusion: for me, GW isn't selling me more books or models, they are just spreading my attention (and budget) over a lot of different stuff at (nearly) the same time.


Cosplay

An interesting link showed up in my RSS reader this weekend (sorry, I don't recall what blog it was from... if you know, please tell me in the comments). Usually I'm not that interested in cosplay, but if it's about 40k, I sometimes make an exception.

That looks bad-ass.
I thought there weren't a lot of good 40k costumes until I did a search and found these:
And apparently, there's plenty more where that came from.

What do you think about the plethore of new releases recently?
Do you cosplay? (I don't) Show off some great costumes in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...