Friday, April 5, 2013

Tau Empire models Part 2 - New stuff


Welcome to part 2 of the "What does Cheatah think about the new Tau models" series. Today, I'll be spewing my thoughts on the completely new models that are released this weekend.

BTW: while typing up the previous post and seeing how great the new XV88 looked, I decided to order a copy of the new Tau codex for myself. That way I can start thinking about army builds and all the new possibilities for GW to shut up and take my money.

Cadre Fireblade

Cadre fireblade
This is a plastic character model, like the Chaos Marine Aspiring Champion and the WFB Nurgle Chaos Lord (isn't that the best looking model ever?).

I think that plastic is a much better material for models than metal. This is mainly because metal is not conversion-friendly and tends to chip paint even when dropped from short distances. (Don't do that!)
Also, Finecast is (imho) a stop-gap measure from GW to cut costs on metal material without doing extra  short-term investments in plastic moulding technology. I will not be speaking about that a lot.
For me, the evolution to plastic character models is fantastic! (That's why I won't be buying a Finecast Belial, for instance... boycott GW into making more plastic characters!)

The pose of the model is really dynamic with the flowing cape and raised bonding knife. The model really screams "grizzled veteran firewarrior" to me. And guess what? That's what it says on the tin!

Price-wise (15€), it is comparable to the aforementioned aspiring champion.

Both are more expensive than the (older) Nurgle lord. No idea why... the amount of plastic looks about the same... can't imagine the design process being that more expensive.

Sunshark Bomber / Razorshark Strike Fighter

Sunshark bomber
What first comes to my attention is the fact that this is undeniably a Tau vehicle. The front looks like a Devilfish with  the sides stretched into wings. The engines keep the same basic shape of the Devilfish engines but are repositioned to the front of the vehicle.

I really like the two interceptor drones that are attached, and detachable, from the wings. It's a great concept to have a bomber carry it's own interceptor squadron to defend against threats.

The pulse bomb generator is also one of the cool features of the Sunshark. Unlimited death from the skies! (Unless you roll a one of course... hmm... I might need to do a Tau codex series after this, highlighting all the cool new rules and unit interactions etc.)

Looking from the top, this is unmistakably an aircraft, even though it has the typical alien curves found in all Tau vehicles. The placement of the turret in the tail section seems odd at first, but it grew on me really fast. (not like the pulpit on the Land Speeder Vengeance... blech!)
After all, this is alien technology... who knows what magicks they use to avoid recoil destabilising the entire craft?

Looking at other fliers, the price is a bit high with 50€ compared to 36€ for a Dark Eldar Razorwing, Space Marine Storm Talon or Ork Bommer, although the Ravenwing Dark Talon is even more expensive at 60€ and the Space Marine Storm Raven at 65€... ok so maybe the other fliers are not a good reference point since they differ so much from one another.

Compared to the Hammerhead/Skyray set, which is 45€, the price seems appropriate.

XV104 Riptide BattleSuit

XV104 Riptide and 2 drones
So I saved the best for last... sue me! 
(No please GW, don't sue me for using your images... if you look at it in a particular way, you might even say I'm advertising for you... there are even links on the titles to go to your webshop and buy all this...)

Aaah the Riptide... 

... let me just take a moment to ...

... enjoy the model ...

Have another pose


What can I say... I'm speechless. At first glance, it's merely a Crisis battlesuit blown way out of proportion... but then you start taking in the details:
  • The head is the same size as the other battlesuits, which makes the model big.
  • He's got a huge gun...
  • ...which has secondary guns of it's own.
  • There's also a massive shield...
  • ...this one too, has guns of it's own.
  • Looking at the 2 poses on the GW website, the posability is humongous: Left-handed gun? No problem! Kneeling position? Check! Bulky defensive stance? You got it! Surveying the battlefield for the next target to be blasted apart? Aye sir!
Do you see a theme developing here?
Everything about this model is big, large, huge or any other opposite of small. 
Except hulking... it isn't hulking like for example a Tervigon. A Tervigon is a big, hulking monstrosity. The Riptide is quite the opposite... it's big alright, but it looks sleek. Like it's poised to strike rock-hard but lightning-quick and then move on to the next hole in the battle-line to be plugged.

Ok, so I'm a fan... let's talk money!
For such a big, huge, massive and humongous model, you'd think the price would be proportionate...

... well, you'd be right. The 65€ needed to purchase this whopper of a model is pretty high, considering the Tervigon costs 46€ and the Nemesis Dreadknight is 42€. However... I don't think you'll be purchasing multiples of this one for one army. (Unlike Tervigons, for example... you need at least 2 to make a reasonable Tyranid army :p)
The Riptide is an Elites choice if I'm not mistaken, and so it will have to compete with Crisis teams and who knows what else. (I don't have the new codex yet, and don't remember all the Elites choices from the previous codex.)

As a parting shot...
Dat ass!


So this concludes part 2 of the "Cheatah will be digging out his old Tau army and needs to think about what next to purchase" series. Join me next time when I look at some bits and bobs.



1 comment:

  1. Love the new models. For the flyer, I think the fighter's underslung turret looks a bit better than the missile pod on the bomber.

    The riptide is indeed very posable, and that can only be applauded. I think you might want more than 1 though, if the rules I've read are anywhere near accurate ;-) (though everything so far seems really usable, no "must use" units yet)

    I've enjoyed this mini series, let us know when the codex arrives!

    (btw: wow @ the codex cover art - all the 6th ed books have been amazing in that aspect I think)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...