Thursday, June 20, 2013

Teaser Reveal!

This was the teaser I showed in my last progress update.
I thought it was kinda obvious what it is, and if you took a clever way about this, you could get a big hint from the filename of the image. (how naive of me to think nobody would find that :p)

Look past the break for the big reveal!




It's the monochrome camo-scheme for my devilfish!!!
Ok, so I'm probably the only one to get excited about it... anyway, let me show you how I did this...

Using my airbrush and a self-made stencil, I sprayed Vallejo Stonewall Grey on the hull in random patterns and intensities, creating a random camo scheme. This needs 2 coats of Violet Wash to tie in with the rest of the army, of course, but I wanted to show you this part as well.


This is the stencil I created using a simple piece of paper (A4).
I folded it a couple times in half and used a hole punch to create the holes. Then I unfolded it partially, folded it diagonally and punched some more holes. Repeat this with some random folds and eventually something like this is the result. It looks pretty symmetrical, which it obviously is because it was folded, however, spraying through random different parts of the stencil over the same spot of hull gives you a random pattern all over the tank.


I also sprayed the underside an even grey, as this is the best camouflage against a clear sky. (Remember, these things float...)

I like how it looks now and I hope the differing brightness of the pattern will show through enough when painted over with a couple coats of wash, but before I do that, I'll do a slight drybrush over any edges I can find, to give it an edge highlight.

Watch this blog for further updates!

What do you think about the camo scheme? Will it look good once washed?

3 comments:

  1. Nice, for those that want digi camo they could just use a square hole puch instead of a round one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought was... wow, a disco vibe. I like it. It's different and for Tau that means a lot. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys... I hope I can continue on the paintjob this weekend. I'm really excited to see how it will look once it has some color on it ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...